Learn to layer rugs on carpet in your house. Whereas this method received’t work in each house, it’s an effective way to increase the lifetime of your carpet, cowl stains or unpleasant areas, and purchase you extra time earlier than a flooring improve.
Rugs over carpet may also immediately breathe a layered, eclectic type right into a room, creating the texture of a heat and comfortable residence immediately!
This layering approach is one I’ve utilized in a number of rooms of our houses through the years. It’s a tried and true strategy to rapidly create a glance you’re certain to like!
If you love hardwood flooring as a lot as we do, you study fairly rapidly that rugs shall be your new finest buddy. In our years of homeownership, we’ve owned numerous rugs.
Some, in fact, are higher than others. Some are softer underfoot, some are simpler to scrub, and a few are simply all in regards to the look and magnificence.
With that in thoughts, we’ve created a whole rug information to provide the finest suggestions for Buying a Rug in accordance with measurement, price range, supplies and sturdiness! You can study just about each kind of rug on the market, and discover out what works finest for your loved ones.
However immediately, I wished to talk with you about one other method we’ve used numerous rugs through the years: layering rugs on carpet. This may be an extremely quick and straightforward strategy to inject a right away dose of recent type right into a room with drained carpet.
I’ve written so much about rugs, together with one of the best straightforward to scrub indoor/out of doors Stair Runner on Basement Steps, the Finest Child and Pet Pleasant Rug, Indoor Outside Rugs, Classic Turkish Rugs and Sisal Rugs you possibly can Clear!
Rugs on Carpet
We’ve used this trick many instances in our years of renovating previous houses! You can see a rug on carpet on this bed room makeover I did with Lowe’s years in the past, in our Major Bed room, our newly up to date Fashionable Laundry, and even within the ladies’ Bunk Room on the lake.
This trick can work just about anyplace in your house. Suppose eating room, lounge, bedrooms, basements and extra… anyplace you might have a carpeted ground you may not love!
When you possibly can’t instantly change the flooring in a room, a rug on carpet is an superior choice you possibly can embrace! Wall to wall carpeting will be troublesome to embrace – why not break it up with rugs?
Consider it or not, putting rugs on carpet could be a controversial subject on the earth of inside design. It may not at all times be a powerful YES from everybody, nevertheless it’s really a fantastic choice for a lot of conditions.
Learn on to search out out if this look will work in your house.
Does this look be just right for you? There are such a lot of causes to put an space rug over carpet!
- Cover stains
- Cover injury or imperfections
- Quickest strategy to change the look of your flooring
- Renting? Lay an space rug over carpet so as to add momentary type
- Add a pop of coloration and character
- Introduce sample
- Add luxurious and heat
- Lengthen the lifetime of your carpeting
How Do You Layer a Rug on Carpet?
After contemplating your causes for including a rug on carpet in your house, consider these design tips.
- Texture – Even when it’s monochromatic, including a textural woven rug can create immediate coziness in a room. Think about a Sisal Rug or one thing comparable for texture underfoot.
- Scale – Maintain measurement and scale in thoughts – don’t float a small rug within the heart of a giant carpeted room. Make sure you take a look at the scale information in my Suggestions for Buying a Rug.
- Coloration – Whereas I’m personally at all times a fan of a impartial coloration scheme, I like to see a enjoyable coloration scheme, too! Add a daring pop of coloration to your house with a shiny rug. Simply you should definitely add the right Pillow Covers in your accent pillows to actually pull the room collectively!
- Fashion – Get artistic! This is a wonderful space to offer your room extra pizzazz. Whether or not you’re creating a comfortable cottage vibe, a Impartial Residing Room, a Fashionable Residing Room, a Coastal Fashionable look, or creating the first bed room of your desires, the world is yours!
- Sample – Rugs really feel like much less of an funding than wall-to-wall flooring. They’re simpler to switch and they’re a safer place to play with sample!
- Security – This is a vital consideration. You don’t need them to ripple and create a tripping hazard. Learn extra beneath.
- Sure, you possibly can add any space rug over broadloom carpet! With a couple of exceptions, in fact.
- One exception involves thoughts! When you’ve got the next carpet pile (like a deep shag rug type) layering a classic Turkish rug or one other thick choice may not work aesthetically. Thick pile carpet + thick pile rugs would in all probability be slightly an excessive amount of and never provide the need have an effect on.
- Put an space rug over carpet by itself, or take into account a rug pad between the layers. This might help make sure that your rug is correctly anchored in opposition to your carpet fibers, stopping slippage.
How one can Stop Rippling
- Add a rug pad. You may even discover a rug pad particularly made for carpet-over-carpet.
- Use double-sided carpet tape
- Use a heavy rug (assume jute or wool)
- Anchor with furnishings like espresso tables or sofas.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Completely! Ignore the previous design guidelines which may say in any other case. Guidelines are supposed to be damaged, and a rug on carpet can significantly enhance the design of a room in minutes. Why not give it a attempt?
Stop rippling with rug pads or tape, and even glue! (Not in your carpet, in fact… use glue meant to dry on the again of your rug to create a ridged, adhesive have an effect on when it dries.)
I’d love to listen to from you! Are you a fan of layering like this, or is that this a glance you’d choose to skip?
Let’s be in contact! Obtain unique content material, together with never-seen-before photographs, our favourite residence decor DIYs and extra!