I have to admit, I type of delight myself on being a little bit of a grandma whereas I’m nonetheless in my mid-30s. I’ve had folks level out (for many of my grownup life) that most of the hobbies I get pleasure from, the decor I select, and the dishes I prefer to make remind them of their grandmothers. Lol.
I feel this ambrosia salad is not any exception.
To me, it is a facet dish (or dessert!) that I’ve seen served at bridal showers, child showers, and different potluck meals.
If you happen to’ve by no means had ambrosia salad earlier than, it’s a creamy fruit salad that may sound a bit odd based mostly on the elements, however don’t knock it till you strive it!
Bounce to Recipe
Why is it referred to as ambrosia salad?
My understanding is ambrosia means “aromatic” or “scrumptious” and can be related to fruit from Greek mythology. That is definitely a really scrumptious fruit salad, so the identify matches.
I think that ambrosia salad could also be type of a southern (U.S.) factor. However for those who’re from one other area, I’d like to know if it’s one thing that you simply noticed or ate rising up. Being from southwest Missouri, we’ve got of a mixture of Southern cooking and Midwestern dishes, too.
Ambrosia Salad Elements:
- Whipped Topping (Cool Whip, or the off-brand model)
- Vanilla Yogurt
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- Mandarin Oranges – canned
- Pineapple – canned tidbits
- Maraschino Cherries
- Sliced Almonds
- Chopped Pecans
- Fruit-Flavored Mini Marshmallows
These are the elements I take advantage of, that are principally conventional. The primary factor I perform a little completely different with my ambrosia salad recipe is add extra nuts than you usually see.
I like some crunch together with the creaminess and candy fruit flavors of this recipe. It provides a bit extra dimension.
Substitutions & Variations:
- Whipped cream might be substituted for whipped topping. The dish is not going to retailer for as lengthy, however for those who assume it is going to be consumed in a day, then this received’t matter
- Bitter cream or plain Greek yogurt might be substituted for vanilla yogurt. It will make the ambrosia salad rather less candy. Nonetheless, that is meant to be a fairly candy facet dish, and even dessert.
- Recent fruit can be utilized as a substitute of canned, however the recipe card beneath lists measurements in canned portions, so that you’ll have to convert these.
- Almonds or pecans might be substituted for one more nut choice (like pistachios) if wanted.
Fruit-flavored marshmallows might be arduous to seek out. After I was grocery looking for these provides, they didn’t have these at two of the three shops I went to. And I think it might be type of a southern factor (let me know in feedback), so it might be arduous to seek out in sure areas.
You may substitute these for normal flavored mini marshmallows OR depart them out of the recipe fully. The ambrosia salad will nonetheless be very scrumptious and candy with out them—it’s only a conventional ingredient that provides an fascinating texture.
As I discussed, I see ambrosia salad served most frequently at huge meals like Thanksgiving or a child bathe.
So, for those who’re getting ready for a meal like that, listed here are another facet dish recipes you would possibly like:
I like this ambrosia salad! Subsequent, I’ll must get the official household recipe and share my great-aunt Ina’s cranberry jello salad. It’s additionally considered one of these candy salads that simply jogs my memory of huge household meals. Get pleasure from. xo. Emma
a creamy, candy fruit salad
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 5 ounces vanilla yogurt about 1 cup
- ½ cup coconut flakes sweetened
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits drained
- 15 ounces mandarin oranges drained
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries drained
- ½ cup almonds sliced
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup fruit-flavored mini marshmallows or common mini marshmallows
If the whipped topping is frozen, enable it to thaw within the fridge till it may be folded.
In a small mixing bowl, fold the whipped topping in with the vanilla yogurt.
In a big mixing bowl, add all the opposite elements.
Combine the cream combination into the opposite elements till all the things is nicely coated.
Leftovers needs to be coated or saved in an hermetic container and refrigerated. Ambrosia salad might be saved for at the very least 3 days.
Energy: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 0.002g | Ldl cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 45mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 1mg