The winner of final 12 months’s Lecomte Stakes might have slipped into obscurity as Name Me Midnight misplaced his subsequent eight races in 2022. But the Truthful Grounds’ Kentucky Derby Offered by Woodford Reserve prep loved fairly a little bit of high quality with the sphere together with future Runhappy Travers Stakes winner Epicenter, the favourite to be named the 2022 champion 3-year-old male, and Cyberknife, who went on to take the TVG.com Haskell Stakes and Arkansas Derby.
This 12 months’s discipline of 3-year-olds additionally has just a few promising runners among the many discipline of eight that can slug it out over 1 1/16 miles on Saturday.
1. Echo Once more (6-1 morning-line odds): Set the tempo and completed third whereas delivering a stable effort within the Remington Springboard Mile. Needs to be on the lead as soon as once more and drawing the rail helps his trigger. Figures to be a serious participant.
JOCKEY: Tyler Gaffalione; TRAINER: Steve Asmussen
2. Denington (8-1): Had a large journey whereas ending third within the Smarty Jones Stakes. Will get a greater put up right here and provides blinkers … may take a step ahead on this discipline.
JOCKEY: Corey Lanerie; TRAINER: Ken McPeek
3. Bromley (5-1): Has gained his two begins, however one was on an artificial floor at Turfway Park. He has but to race past 6 1/2 furlongs, so there are questions on his skill to deal with two turns whereas going through stakes firm for the primary time.
JOCKEY: Javier Castellano; TRAINER: Paulo Lobo
4. Confidence Sport (8-1): Appears to be on the upswing with an improved, successful effort at Churchill Downs final trip. He’s already traveled this distance 3 times and generally is a issue if he duplicates his final strive.
JOCKEY: James Graham; TRAINER: Keith Desormeaux
5. Tapit’s Conquest (9-2): Comes off a pointy maiden win and has put in some promising exercises since that Oct. 1 victory at a 1 1/16-mile distance. Comes from a high barn and can’t be ignored, though the time was on the sluggish facet and he’s additionally entered in an allowance race earlier on the cardboard.
JOCKEY: Florent Geroux; TRAINER: Brad Cox
6. Itzos (10-1): Like his stablemate Bromley, he steps into stakes firm after a dash win on an artificial floor at Turfway Park. He must be a part of a energetic tempo and can want an improved effort to determine within the final result.
JOCKEY: Brian J. Hernandez Jr.; TRAINER: Paulo Lobo
7. Instantaneous Espresso (5-2): Seemed the a part of a Kentucky Derby candidate in successful the Kentucky Jockey Membership Stakes as a heavy favourite. Has the form of working fashion to learn from a quick tempo and appears just like the one to beat right here from a barn with a very good monitor file within the Derby preps and Triple Crown.
JOCKEY: Luis Saez; TRAINER: Brad Cox
8. Two Phil’s (4-1): Comes off a giant win within the Grade 3 Road Sense Stakes at Churchill Downs, although that was within the slop. He was no issue within the Grade 1 Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland however appears to be getting higher and must be an element supplied the skin put up doesn’t pose an issue.
JOCKEY: Jareth Loveberry; TRAINER: Larry Rivelli
THE PICK: Instantaneous Espresso
LIVE LONGSHOT: Denington