There’s an opportunity your take a look at consequence could present up as invalid. This implies the take a look at didn’t work. If this occurred along with your first take a look at, you’ll be able to strive once more with the second within the field (although you’ll want to purchase one other pack to check once more).
Ought to You Report Your Optimistic End result?
Per the CDC, there at present aren’t any techniques in place that require you to report a optimistic at-home take a look at consequence to public well being authorities. However as we talked about earlier than, it’s strongly inspired that you simply contact your well being care supplier to ensure you obtain the correct medical care and remedy. You may also examine whether or not your native well being division provides a web-based self-reporting type.
How Ought to I Retailer At-Home Covid Tests?
As you’re stocking up on checks, it’s essential to verify the kits are saved correctly to keep away from false-negative outcomes. Most at-home fast checks must be saved in a dry location (out of direct daylight) the place the temperature is between about 35 levels and 86 levels Fahrenheit. However you will discover directions for particular checks you’re utilizing through the producer’s directions that include every package.
In response to the FDA, “the take a look at efficiency will stay steady when checks are saved at numerous temperatures, together with delivery throughout the summer season in extremely popular areas and within the winter in very chilly areas.” Nonetheless, you shouldn’t use a fast take a look at if it’s nonetheless chilly after being uncovered to freezing temperatures. As an alternative, carry it inside and depart it in an space at room temperature for 2 hours earlier than opening it.
Be certain fast checks are saved out of kids’s attain too, for the reason that small vial and cap might be choking hazards. Moreover, as per the Nationwide Poison Management Heart, the answer discovered within the vials included with loads of fast antigen kits (equivalent to BinaxNow, Flowflex, and BD Veritor) makes use of sodium azide as a preservative agent—which might be poisonous if ingested in low doses. Whereas the quantity of sodium azide in fast checks is simply too low to be thought-about toxic, it might probably nonetheless trigger irritation when uncovered to the eyes, nostril, or pores and skin (together with chemical burns).
Test the Expiration Dates
It’s essential to pay shut consideration to the expiration date of at-home fast take a look at kits. Usually, that is discovered on the surface of the take a look at’s packaging, labeled “Exp” or with an hourglass icon. However since some checks have been granted an prolonged shelf life by the FDA, the date you see on the packaging may now not be correct. Under, we’ve listed which checks now have an extended shelf life and their new expiration interval. The brand new shelf life of every take a look at is barely relevant in the event that they’re saved correctly (as famous above).
- Abbott BinaxNow Antigen Rapid Self-Take a look at Equipment: Expires after 15 months; Test the brand new expiration date in accordance with your lot quantity right here.
- FlowFlex Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Take a look at: Expires after 16 months; Test the brand new expiration date based mostly on the printed date right here.
- Intrivo Diagnostics On/Go Antigen Self-Take a look at: Expires after 12 months; Test the brand new expiration date in accordance with your lot quantity right here.
- iHealth Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Take a look at: Expires after 9 months; Test the brand new expiration of your take a look at package by typing within the lot quantity right here.
- BD Veritor Digital Take a look at Equipment: Expires after 10 months; Test the brand new expiration date right here.
- Detect Covid-19 Starter Equipment: Expires after eight months; Test the brand new expiration date right here.